The Mayans predicted the world would end on the 21st of December 2012: Were you disappointed it didn’t?
So maybe you didn’t want it to end, but were you secretly hoping for chaos? For a paradigm shift in your life and the world as a whole? For life to be stirred up beyond repair so you could go in a whole new direction?
Here’s how to find purpose and passion without an apocalypse:
1. Get out of your comfort zone. Terrified of public speaking? Join Toastmasters. Scared of the things that creep and crawl in the woods? Take a day hike. Always been intimidated about what wine goes with what food? Go to a wine tasting.
2. Shake up your life. Are you in a negative rut? Is there something you should change — a relationship, your job — that’s wearing you down? A situation that is familiar but negative, and the unknown seems more frightening than the negative known? Start taking baby steps today to figure out how to change it. Life is too short to stay entrenched in miserable familiarity. Trust that you can find happiness.
3. Create the change you long for. Did you envision a kinder, gentler civilization springing forth after the world ended? How can you improve our current world? What organization can you volunteer with to make a difference? What can you do daily to make life more positive for others? Some ideas: volunteer at a food bank. Teach adults how to read. Do a walk/marathon to raise money for an organization. A friend of mine shaved her head recently to raise money to cure childhood cancer. Now that’s change!
[weaver_widget_area] - Area donation not defined.
4. Find excitement. Take the vacation you’ve been yearning for. Go on a cruise. Take a race-car driving class. Learn to ride a motorcycle. Go sky-diving or parasailing or windsurfing. Get your adrenalin going if that’s what you crave.
5. Listen to your soul’s quiet hints. It’s so much easier to listen to the gentle taps before they become a two-by-four over your head. If you’re feeling unsettled and restless with your life, and were fantasizing for major change to be foist upon you last December, it’s a sign that your soul is discontented with the status quo. Take the time to meditate and contemplate what steps to take to feel fulfilled and happy.
Did you hope for major change last December? If so, what are doing now to change your life? Please leave your comment below, and be sure to sign up for my newsletter list at the top of this article.